This page is OBSOLETE!Edit
Please visit the new wiki page.
Please do not edit this version.
Depositing checks in the US can be accomplished online, without driving to the bank or mailing checks. Users can scan checks with an ordinary conventional scanner, resulting in a subtitute check which can then be uploaded for deposit through a banks web service.
Previously, a special MICR scanner was needed.
There are many more banks that offer remote check deposit to businesses with a MICR scanner, probably too many to be useful to list here.
|bank or credit union||scans accepted from||eligibility||rating||HQ location||notes and other features|
|consumer desktop scanners||android phones||iphones|
|Addison Avenue CU: eDeposit||Yes (plus simple uploadsare possible)||No||No||AACU will not disclose eligibility criteria, but they state that members 18 and older with an account in good standing for 90 days are likely to qualify||2 stars||CA||0% FX fee|
|America First CU: Online Banking||Yes||No||No||UT|
|Alliant CU: eDepositPlus||Yes (plus simple uploads are possible)||No||No||must be a customer in good standing for 6 months prior||4 stars||IL||no min deposit required to open an account|
|Boeing Employees CU (BECU): online deposits||Yes||No||No||3 stars||WA||p2p payments by email or mobile number|
|Chase: QuickDeposit||No||Yes||Yes(req. iOS 3.1 or later)||2 stars||DE||Snail mail checks also accepted. 3% FX fee|
|Citizens Bank (Oregon): Remote Capture||Yes, but...there are technical limitations||No||No||4 stars||OR||Note that there are many banks with the name Citizens Bank. This bank is in Oregon and should not be confused with the larger child company of RBS|
|Digital FCU (DCU): pc deposit||Yes||Yes||Yes||2 stars||MA||2% FX fee; inbound intl wires cost no more than what the intermediate bank charges (see fees)|
|Everbank: online check deposit||Yes, but... there are technical limitations||No||No||any customer qualifies immediately||4 stars||FL||1% FX fee; ATM fee reimbursements and free bill-pay service on accounts worth over $5k; online check deposit service is free, but requires a separate application; inbound intl wires cost no more than what the intermediate bank charges; Impossible to send or receive email (encrypted or not) to Everbank, and web customer service messaging does not support attachments|
|FirstCommand: deposits on demand||Yes||No||No||must be a customer in good standing for 6 months prior|
|First Internet Bank of Indiana: iScan deposits||Yes||No||No||3 stars||3% FX fee; inbound intl wires cost no more than what the intermediate bank charges (see fees)|
|The Golden 1 CU: Z@pit online||Yes||No||No||must have a checking account in good standing for 1yr prior||1% FX fee|
|Hanscom FCU: EasyDeposit||Yes, but... there are possible technical limitations||No||No||4 stars||MA|
|Meadows CU: expressteller||Yes||No||No|
|Mercantile Bank||Yes||No||No||MI||Windows only|
|NASA FCU: remote deposit||Yes||No||No||3 stars||MD||1% FX fee|
|Penfed CU: online deposit anywhere||Yes||No||No||must be a member for 6 months first|
|Pennsylvania State Employees CU (PSECU): online deposit||No||No||No||4 stars||PA||Immediate deposit using online form without supplying an image, but physical check must be snail mailed. (see talk page)|
|Randolph Brooks FCU: eDeposit||Yes||No||No||4 stars||TX|
|Service CU: WebDeposit24||Yes, but... there are possible technical limitations||No||No||must be a member in good standing for 90 days||4 stars||NH||euro bill payments possible; unlimited global ATM reimbursement|
|Sharon CU: VIP deposit||Yes||No||No||4 stars||MA|
|Star One CU: ezDeposit||Yes (plus simple uploads are possible)||No||No||must be a member in good standing for 3 months||4 stars||CA|
|State Farm Bank: mobile check deposit||No||Yes||Yes|
|Summit Bank: remote banking||Yes||No||No||$2500 min deposit to open an account|
|Texas Security: secure xpress deposit||Yes||No||No|
|Torrance Community CU: CU@Home Deposit||Yes||No||No||must be a member in good standing for 12 months||3 stars||CA|
|USAA: deposit @home||Yes||Yes||Yes||check website for membership requirements-- must be full member to use deposit@home and deposit@mobile||4stars||TX||free snail mail pre-paid deposit envelopes; 1% FX fee; atm reiumbursement up to $15/month|
|Vystar CU: remote deposit||Yes||No||No||3 stars||FL||no HTML documentation available|
|WV United FCU: eDeposit||No||No||Yes||4 stars||WV|
- ↑ More information on substitute checks here
- ↑ More information on MICR scanners here
- ↑ it is possible to upload images of checks that you capture prior to login (format must be jpg, mono or grayscale, 200 dpi)
- ↑ it is possible to upload jpg images of checks that you capture prior to login
- ↑ Only works with Windows platforms, according to requirements.
- ↑ It is not possible to upload image files of scans made outside of everbanks controlled environment. Clients must install special software that communicates directly with flatbed hardware that is twain compatible.
- ↑ Requirements specify Windows or Mac computers only, and scanners must by twain compliant. Windows users are forced to install the ActiveX direct scanner controller called EZTwainX by Dosadi. Mac users are forced to install a java direct scanner controller called rdcjava by Member-Data. This strongly suggests that it is not possible to upload image files of scans made outside prior to login.
- ↑ Requirements specify Windows or Mac computers only, and scanners must by twain compliant. This strongly suggests that it is not possible to upload image files of scans made outside prior to login.
- ↑ it is possible to upload images of checks that you capture prior to login
Remote deposit via snail mailEdit
Some banks offer remote deposit the old-fashioned way, by sending endorsed checks in the mail. There are probably too many to justify a full table, but some are listed here: Alliant CU eDeposit, Bank of America, Chase, Capital One, Citibank, ING Direct, PNC, Pennsylvania State Employees CU (PSECU), SunTrust, Wachovia, Washington Mutual and Wells Fargo
Editors - there are some banks rumored to have remote deposit, but there is no indication on the website. Please chase up the following Unconfirmed and undocumented remote deposit banks and either add them to the table or delete them from this list:
- http://www.royalbankamerica.com (confirmed. available through iTunes)
- US Bank (coming attraction, or already available?)
- Bunch of smaller credit unions appear to be getting into the remote deposit.
Some banks are planning to add remote deposit:
- Ally bank intends to add remote deposit by Q1 2011